Skip to main content

Inane Questions - Marc Pelligrini




I was looking out onto the ocean there was a opera house next to it. I was on a green grass hill I notice the water rising like the tide. Next I was down on a baseball diamond tryin’ on a player’s shoe. And then I was back on that green hill the water was surging higher. I felt like I needed to get the shoe, yeah two shoes on right before the water really came. Then the hill that earlier was dry had water seeping over it. I looked up a huge wave as big as god was breaking right above me opera house right up in the middle of it half broke. And I thought well this is it the whole thing is finally over. Then in a basement of sorts green walls white doors corridors I’m walking through them then up a short flight of stairs to a door I open it ground-level sunlight a guy is crouching he’s got shaved sides of his head red sparsed with purple four inch hair spiked. An older guy hands me a two by four, not a two by four you see today, but a two by four that is actually two inches by four inches and says kill ‘im, kill ‘im or he’ll kill you, or I’ll kill him, or I’ll kill you. Then I woke up with a horrible whisky headache.

“When was the last time you used Joey?”

“This morning I ordered the stuff with NONchat as soon as I woke up and it arrived around 9. The runner never delivers before 9.”

Sometimes when my shrink is asking me these questions I get this odd feeling that I am getting bigger and bigger and he is getting smaller and smaller and the thought, it’s not a ego or hate thing I’ve had this happen to me before with gumball machines as a teenager. I don’t understand him at all and he is completely befuddled by me.

“And how did you feel afterwards?”

I felt great, what the fuck does he want me to say? I was all high watchin the Jets. Can’t believe I gotta pay a 30 buck co-pay just to talk to this guy.

If I only listened to my mom after high school. Went to college got a degree at the normal age. And then a post-graduate degree, maybe another post graduate degree. Then I would be here asking the inane questions. The wastoidism could have all ensued after that. 





Marc Pelligrini's favorite way to wind down after a day at the factory is huffing paint-thinner or sometimes gasoline, or preferably an aged blend of solvents and fuels giving off a smooth, refined, polished nose. Marc is a spot-welder currently residing in Roselle, New Jersey.

Popular posts from this blog

A Broken Head(set) - Jesus Rivera

This past summer was like all other suburban summers: short and hot. Short enough so that it came and went and, having not overstayed its welcome, would be welcomed again. Hot enough that little kids cracked eggs on their asphalt driveways, scrambled for a round of hide and go seek, and before the tiny seeker could finish counting to ten and move her hands from her eyes, the yolks were very well done. On both sides.

Three Poems - Scott Laudati

my first night back we were far apart once but you can hear my heart now in this chest, and your hair used to itch my skin if you didn’t tuck it back but you’ll never hear about it again

Pat Brown and Broken Ribs - Robert Vogt

Pat Brown points a .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol in my face. Pat Brown, the Pat Brown of Vandals fame—the guy the Vandals wrote the song about—yells, “Get the fuck outta here!”